Saturday, May 17, 2014

Angry birds ...

For those of you who've been expecting a baptism post, I'm sorry! It'll come sometime in the near future. I had some things translated, but lost the paper, so I'm getting them translated again. You'll understand when that post comes!

This post is about this girl here (The one on the left, with the glasses, wearing the angry birds shirt):

You may wonder about the title. When I first came to Cambodia on a Christmas team (2011-12), she wore an angry birds shirt what seemed like every day. And that's where I got the title!

For security precautions, I don't put names and pictures together, even though I usually give my phonetics of the name and not the way they actually write it.

As you know by now, this young lady has been studying at the English center for a long time, over 2 1/2 years. She's always excited about teams! Both times I came on a team, the other girls and I got to go eat a snack multiple times with this girl. When I came for my longer term, it was harder to get time with her, and many other students. (That's one great things about teams. They're only here for a very short time, so it's now or never. And teams are just more exciting!)

So this young lady was not the least bit interested in the gospel for a long time. Finally, God got ahold of her and she initiated studying the Bible with Crystal (back in October or November). Her and one other girl studied with Crystal every day after class for a few months. Since January we've offered a Bible study class in the evenings and they've joined it, along with several other students.

With the team coming, I've been wondering if I should teach a Bible study class with the group we have, or if they should split up, study with the team, and make connections with other students. The community they have is great and I hope for them to keep that community. It would be wonderful if they, being "old students,"  would welcome and even reach out to new students, especially during the CONNECT time.

All that being said, I talked with this young lady yesterday before class. I asked her if she thought we should still have the Bible study class when the team comes. She said yes. She thought many students would rather study with the team, but she'd rather study the Bible. AMEN!

I asked why she wanted to study the Bible and why she's not a Christian yet. She replied that she's very interested in the Bible. She wants to know more. She thinks it's wonderful / amazing and she wonders about it, and is surprised as she reads.

One obstacle, like for every Cambodian, is her family. They won't let her go to church, especially her dad. They have no clue that our organization teaches about Jesus. They just think their two children (this girl and her younger brother) are going to study English. They are, but they're learning so much more than English. I asked if she reads the Bible at home ( I know that in the past, she's read through the whole Bible, but I wasn't sure if she was still reading it). Her response ... if my parent's aren't home, yes. If they're home, no. She keeps the Bible hidden in a bag, so they won't see it.
Pray for both of these girls! The blog is about the one in the middle (with glasses)

No comments:

Post a Comment