Thursday, March 19, 2015

I Can Do Nothing Apart From Him ... Proof

Lately I've been learning and "coincidentally" reading in my quiet time that I (of myself) can basically do NOTHING! Sometimes this is discouraging, but if we look to God and His Word it's true and should be pointing us and others to Him.

To be completely honest, I haven't much motivation to do much more than what's "required" of me. This is sad and I hate it because deep down I know that I should be evangelizing more, spending more time in the word and praying, be more intentional with people ... Sometimes I look at my day and I wonder if anything came of it. In some ways I'm being hard on myself, but at the same time it can be the truth.

This morning I read 2 Corinthians 12
"Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me - to keep me from exalting myself!" - verse 7
"Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." - verse 10
I reflected on some of my weaknesses and how they even cause me to disobey God (sin) and I thanked God that I can't receive His glory and even that I feel like a failure sometimes because it's not about me!

Here's the cherry on top:
Yesterday a new girl, See-nah, came and wanted to study. We only have 2 1/2 weeks left in the term, but what the heck ... I'll let her study. As I sat talking to her (in Khmer because her English is low and she's not very confident in speaking) one of my students, Vaun-De, came out and sat down. This "new girl" used to study with Van-De. We talked for a bit, then they both had to leave.

Today, See-nah came to study. After class See-nah and Vaun-De both sat down to hang out. Normally Vaun-De leaves right after class. We almost immediately started talking about spiritual things. They had a lot of questions. Some where the common misunderstandings : "After a person follows Jesus, do they stop respecting their parents?" "If  I become a Christian and my parents die, can I not cry?" ... I found it a little humorous because we have the "I Wonder A Lot" program right now which covers those questions. I guess they didn't have time to go.

Most of this conversation was in Khmer. Vaun-De has decent English (better than my Khmer), but I guess she's more comfortable speaking Khmer and her friend was able to understand. And you know how you have "brain farts" sometimes? I've been having those a lot lately with Khmer. There were several words that I knew and have used before, but they just weren't coming to me. Anything that came out of that conversation was by the grace of God. I think they had a few questions answered and I hope they have a better understanding of what it means to be a Christian.

Please pray for Vaun-De and See-nah! They are both pretty interested! Pray for protection over them, that they will continue to have the desire and ability to learn more about Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment