Saturday, May 4, 2013

Make due with what you have!

You could say these examples are all making the most of our resources, or you could call it redneck. Too bad we can't get duct tape and bailing wire here

Internet
When you can only get good reception in one spot ... sometimes you have to use thumb tacks to hold the router on the wall!


Cookies
If you can't find a real cookie sheet, you buy a foil pie pan and make one! For later batches we made the cookies a little smaller and made use of the area between the cuts. This was the very first batch of cookies that I made in Cambodia!

Actually, we were out of several ingredients, but I was desperate so I made some substitutions. Only had half the amount of brown sugar ... added some extra white sugar. No eggs ... that's okay, I used butter for the egg yolk and oil for the eggs whites ... it looks close enough to an egg! :-) We didn't have measuring spoons, or a normal sized tea spoon, so I used about half of a big spoon. And to top it all off, I lost count on how much flour I'd put in ... "did I put 4 1/2 cups of flour already, or do I need another one?" They were some of the best cookies I'd had (in my opinion) ... other's thought they were too sweet! I actually tried to recreate them, but the second batch didn't turn out as good.


Kitchen Sink
If the faucet brakes and water is just shooting out and making a mess, you cut a plastic cup and make it work. Thank you Brown Coffee! We actually have more water pressure this way then we did with the faucet on ... which is why it's been like this for about 2 months! :-)


Sopapilla Cheesecake
Okay, this isn't really redneck ... well maybe the arm for a rolling pin is! :-) I've seen rolling pins at the market, but why spend the money when God gave me hands and arms that work almost as well!

Crystal had never tried or even heard of Sopapilla Cheesecake so we had to make it, but we can't get canned  croissants. We actually talked about it a couple times before I realized that we could make croissants from scratch! I'm a little slow! :-) That was a lot of work, but well worth it, especially since Crystal liked it!




1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing post. I love how joyful you are about life!

    ReplyDelete