Imagine, if you can ... you've never heard most of the Bible and you're reading the story of Saul's conversion (Acts 9:1-20) for the first time ever ... in the King James Bible AND you were raised in a place that doesn't have a Biblical foundation (that means little to no knowledge of the Bible).
I was trying to envision this today as I studied the Bible with Sihn and a friend of his. They read the story in Khmer (which some people compare to King James because there are a lot of words used that people don't know anymore), then I read it in English (NIRV). For me it's simple. BUT for them ... not so much! All I could do was try to empathize with them and PRAY. Pray that God would give them understanding. I also tried to summarize in my own words, along with a simple drawing. Finally, after a while, and them reading to themselves over and over, and comparing the Khmer and English translations, I think they finally understood (for the most part).
Sihn's friend (I forget exactly how to say his name) was really excited about it and wants to come again next week! That was really encouraging!
The memory verse, which I didn't tell them to memorize, but to just think about, was John 3:7 "You must be born again." Sihn's friend asked, "so you believe when you die, you will be born again?" I'm pretty sure he was thinking reincarnation. "No, no, no " ... I explained what the verse actually meant.
Please pray for these two guys and for others to join. Ask God to give them all understanding of Him, His love and His desire to have a relationship with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment