Wednesday, November 27, 2013

'Tis The Season ...

There has been a lot happen this month, but I have to write my newsletter in a few days, so I'll save it for the newsletter!!! :-)

I would however, like for you to think about holidays ... below is an old post (from March 17) with some additions. It fits very well, as Christmas is approaching. You can click the following link to view, the original blog post, "Righteousness?", or read below.

Back in March, my friend Tear-E asked why there are so many eggs for Easter and what they are for. We had watched “The Rise of the Guardians” just two days before. This brought up interesting conversation about American holidays.

Many American Christians believe that since our holidays are not religious that it’s okay to celebrate them. Cambodian holidays are all spiritual and involve feeding spirits or worshiping gods … so Cambodian Christians are often told they should not partake in these holiday events after they choose to follow Jesus. I have heard this brought up several times, and wonder myself, “what is right?” Look at Romans 14 (it's originally talking about food, but I think it applies here)! Here's Rom 14:10-12, but I encourage you to read more! It's good stuff! 10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11 for it is written,“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” 12 So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.

–- Should Cambodians not celebrate Khmer New Year, Pchum Ben … holidays that “all” Cambodians celebrate. It’s clear in Scripture that you shall have no other gods before the One True God and you shall not make any graven images, or worship or serve them. But what if they are not worshiping other gods. Pchum Ben for example, is believed to be the day that the spirits in the lowest level / worst hell are released for one day. On that day they come up and people throw rolled up balls of rice at the temples. They believe that these spirits don’t get food throughout the whole year and their mouths are so small that they can only eat these tiny balls of rice. People do not know if any of their ancestors are in this hell so they go feed them just in case. If they don’t go and they do have an ancestor there, then the ancestor will basically “haunt” them over the next year because they did not feed them. Some people say they don’t go to feed the spirits, but like to do it because it’s tradition and it’s fun to throw rice-balls at the temples. Should a follower of Jesus partake in this???

I ask, "What about "American holidays" that ARE religious???  Christmas and Easter!!! It's the exact opposite as Cambodia. Most Cambodians know that their holidays are related to spirits, but most, or maybe I should say, "many" Americans think holidays are just a time to spend with family, have time off from work and school, ... Many families, such as my own (at least growing up) celebrated CHRISTmas without CHRIST and Easter doesn't even have Christ in the name, so that definitely isn't about Christ.

-- Should Americans not practice many Christmas traditions or tell their kids to believe in Santa? Seriously, as followers of Christ, how often do our conversations revolve more around Santa and other traditions than Jesus, Who is the REAL reason we celebrate Christmas, and the reason we are here on earth? I am not saying Santa or Christmas trees, candy canes, presents, parties, ... are bad or anything like that. Honestly, I don't know what is "right." But I am saying LET'S MAKE CHRISTMAS ABOUT CHRIST! Do these things bring God glory?

Many people don't like to talk about religion ... And honestly, how dare you ask a person if they know Jesus (in Oklahoma). Of course they do (not always), but many people get offended because they are good people, or they go to church sometimes, or their mom is a Sunday School teacher ... "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9 (emphasis mine)  If you're like me and normally find it difficult to ask people about Jesus, but you want to, then use this time of year to DO IT! Ask what their family does on Christmas, if they have family traditions, if they go to church on Christmas day or other days, if they'd like to see your kids (or other kids at your church) perform in the Christmas play ... share how your family celebrates ...

Make an effort this year and every year to talk less and worry less about Santa, gifts, stress, parties, ... and talk more about Jesus CHRIST, the ULTIMATE gift! “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

I know easier said than done, but I am committing to pray that you and I will pray for "God to remind us to pray and remind us to tell others what CHRISTmas is really about and how CHRIST has changed our lives!" Make the most of every opportunity He gives you! Apart from Him we can do nothing! I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. - John 15:5


No comments:

Post a Comment