Below is a picture of the three different wedding invitations
Wedding #1 - My FIRST Khmer Wedding
(For this wedding, I actually didn't know the bride or the groom, but the bride's brother is a friend of mine / one of the past volunteer teachers)
The outer envelope The information
All three (there's a map on the back of the outer envelope)
* Not pictured - the gift envelope ... If you receive and invitation, you should give at least a $20 gift to pay for your invitation, the big meal you'll eat at the reception, and help with other costs.
The bride and groom wait outside to greet / take pictures with the guests. This is a picture of a picture. The group I went with (minus one person).
Wedding #2
(For this wedding, I know the bride. She was one of my students. We got to the wedding too early, so we didn't get to take a picture with the bride and groom.)
The invitation The first page
The next page The gift envelope
The envelope, invitation, and gift envelope A picture I took


Pictures I stole from Facebook. I saw her in both of these dresses & one more.
Something different between Khmer weddings and American weddings (that I've been to), is Khmer weddings apparently last 1 or 2 days. Here you only go to the reception unless you're really close with the bride / groom. So you basically, just go eat a huge meal, see the bride and groom as they walk around and say hi, (many Cambodians drink), and there's dancing at the end.
I've only been to one American wedding where there was a meal served.
Wedding #3
(For this wedding I know the bride and kind of know the groom)
This is a very unique wedding, for multiple reasons. The bride is Khmer and the groom is Dutch. They had an outdoor wedding ceremony (that friends and family attended), which was immediately followed by the reception ( a buffet then dancing). I took several pictures of this one.
The invitation The invitation opened
The gift envelope Two friends welcoming / checking in the guests
A friend of mine People I know, coming in
The bride walking down the aisle The vows
Announcements in Dutch, English, & Khmer :-D Me & a friend (with 2 photo bombers)
I'm not sure if you noticed from the pictures, but traditional Khmer wedding attire (for the ladies) is similar to American prom dresses! The ladies also put on a TON of make-up, fix their hair (almost like prom style), and wear fake eye-lashes.
No comments:
Post a Comment