1. Don't be so cheap!
Golden Farm Peanut Butter $3.60 Highway Peanut Butter $3.30 ... definitely spend the extra 30 cents! The cheaper one was not very good! The same lesson goes with bread! I will no longer buy the cheap "bread," but will pay a little more for soft, bread that actually tastes like bread! What was I thinking? ... However, I have found some less expensive milk that is still good! $3.80 for 2liters. ... And I thought milk in Oklahoma was expensive!
2. A "medium" pizza will not feed two people! Now I know to order a large!
3. Cucumber does not equal Wintermelon! Cucumbers here are a lot smaller than ones in the states, but wintermelons are about the same size as cucumbers in the states. Needless to say, I bought wintermelon to go with our salad :-( Luckily, Crystal thought to cook it like squash and it was a lot better!
4. Sometimes the laundry room has to double as an office ... like when you're looking up a recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough!
5. Some things are pretty inexpensive! I got 1 medium onion, 4 roma tomatoes, 10 limes, and cilantro for $1.75! Some things are more expensive. Post Honey Bunches of Oats is $4.60. Some things are about the same price. Post Selects are also $4.60. The off brand (Magic Time)is only $2.20. This particular box tastes simlar to stale Apple Jacks, but it's not too bad!
6. Some things you can't get in Cambodia :'-(

I love cereal (if you haven't noticed)! I've eaten it every morning for breakfast for many many years! Sometimes it makes a great dessert or snack between meals.
* 3 weeks in Cambodia = nice farmer's tan! ... I must start using sunblock!
* Movin' on up! I rode a bicycle for 2 weeks, now I am driving a moto! We thought it would be fun to take pictures on our bicycles! :-) Pictured below is my first time driving the moto! Having a motorcycle definitely made learning to drive a moto a lot easier, but it's a lot differnt ... mainly shifting. The moto is semi-automatic. Who knew I would actually miss the clutch? It's also wierd driving with flip flops ... people who do that in the states are crazy, but here it's completely normal!
* Getting a flat tire fixed ... $1.25 ... and a learning experience. I'll be glad when I know the language! I drove up with a flat rear tire and the guy was talking, but I didn't recognize a single word. Eventually he said, "by poan" which is 75 cents. I repeated it and said "jchaa," which means yes! Then he took the tire off, showed me a hole and said "moy dolla" which means one dollar. I repeated several times "moy dolla?" (wonderig if he was adding "moy dolla" to the "by poan", or if it was "moy dolla" total. Oh well, that's what I get for not speaking Khmer).He then fixed it, aired it up and found a tiny hole. As he patched it I wondered what my final total would be. He got done and it was $1.25! Not too bad! These were the best pictures I could discretely take with my phone!

* Whatever you buy, you have to figure out how to carry it home on your moto. Crystal and I bought some wood frames and drove with them on our shoulders!Another learning experience!(the big one was only $2 and the small ones in my basket were only 25cents each) Oh and I should've mentioned, I got the flat tire on my way home, carrying all of this! :-)

* This is how most Cambodians wash their laundry. We are so blessed to have a washer!
No comments:
Post a Comment