I've been here seven weeks now! It seems like it has been a lot longer. I say that as a good thing. Life is pretty similar to life in the states, in that I have a schedule and days can easily blend together. For this reason, it makes updating harder than I thought it would be. There are definitely exciting times, just like in the states.
When I was here last summer, we went to different college campuses and shared the Gospel at least Monday through Friday. Now things are a little different. Most of the focus is on the students we already have contact/relationships with (ones that are in our English classes). I am hoping to be able to start a Bible study with some of the students we already know. I am not sure yet, which students to approach about this. Between the 2:00 and the two 5:30 (higher level English classes) there are 60-75 students, some of which have NO interest in the Bible and come only to have fun and learn English, but some are genuinely seeking to know Truth! Please pray for wisdom and guidance for me, as well as interest and availability for the students.
I had the opportunity to share the Greatest Story Ever with a girl last week, and use some Khmer I had just learned. It is always exciting when God gives obvious opportunities to share His truth, especially when He has just equipped us for THAT opportunity! I had never met this girl before. Apparently she used to study with our organization, but like many students, got busy with her college classes and quit coming. I'm still not sure what her motives were for coming that day, but God had a plan for her to hear more about Him! I was talking with her and felt like I should share with her, but felt really awkward, mostly because my team leader and roommate were about ten feet away (within ear shot)playing chess with a couple students. It is so sad that that would hinder me from sharing the most important message ever, but it did, and after a few minutes, I finally asked her if I could share a story with her.
I was trying to explain about God telling Adam and Eve that they could not eat the fruit from one tree. She did not understand. :-( Then I remembered that I just learned the word "can," which is "bahn," and I already knew he/she, eat, and fruit, and my notes were right in front of me! I looked up "can," then made a sentence. I said "he not can eat the fruit," in Khmer. Later I understood that I should have said, "he eat not can the fruit," but it's okay, she understood my broken Khmer! I was able to share the whole story with her, and half way through, my friend Paw-Lynn came in and also listened to the end of the story.
I don't know what God did / is doing with that, and I have not seen that girl since, but His Word does not return void. Most days I do not give a full gospel presentation, but in class we do read from the Bible and discuss it. I pray that God is opening up the students' hearts to understand His plan and desire to have a relationship with them!
On a separate note:
A couple days ago, I learned the written word for "can," which is aaatch, with a silent "ch." When I said the word, I said "atch" with a silet "ch," which really sounds very similar to the English word, "at." Apparently, the longer, softer sound is "can," but the shorter, stronger sound, "at," is "poop." LOL, I'm sure you wanted to know that!?! I think I will stick to using "bahn," for "can!"
No comments:
Post a Comment